Wednesday, October 21, 2009

So much can change in one day.....

We are now 29 weeks and 1 day!!!

Here is what the babies are doing this week.

Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day.

Obviously the babies are past the 2 1/2 pounds mark. They were past that last week. They are getting so strong now. When they move my whole belly shifts around now. I am amazed and can't help but just sit and stare at it. It never fails, every time I talk and tell Greg "look" they stop moving. I told Greg that I am going to just start snapping when they are moving so that I don't disturb them. I want him to see it so bad.

A lot has happened in the last day so let me fill you in.

As most everyone knows my company (Wyeth Pharmaceuticals) has been in the process of being bought by Pfizer since January of this year. It has been a long drawn out 10 months but finally last Thursday the deal went through.

Yesterday, we were told to wait by the phone for a call from our manager to let us know if we had a job or not.
After almost 10 years of service I was told I was not placed with Pfizer. This did not come as a huge surprise to me because we had heard that the cuts were going to be deep. Both of my partners here in Amarillo are gone and of my managers district ( who was let go on Monday) 1 of his 12 reps were kept. We were told we could share the news after 4:00 that day to give everyone time to get their calls. I was on the phone all day. I can not believe how bad it was. All of my friends at Wyeth are gone. My former manager was let go as well as 9 of his 11 reps. As the calls and emails continue to come in I am just so shocked at how many people lost their jobs. I pray that each and everyone of them find something new and better than they could have ever imagined.

After 10 months of knowing that this was coming I have had time to adjust to the thought that I may not have a job. I definitely went through the ups and downs of emotions over the last 10 months but through it all realized that I had no control over what would happen. For 10 years I was Jenifer, the Wyeth rep. It was what defined me, and it has been hard for me to realize that that would not be who I was anymore. I gave Wyeth my best and I know that all the way to the end I never quit. I won numerous awards and trips that I will never forget and made Wyeth friends and friends in my offices that I will have for life. That, they can never take away from me.
Being let go as crazy as it sounds, is such a blessing. Greg thought I would not want to go back to work after the babies were here anyways. Since the acquisition took so long it allowed me to have insurance this entire time through our fertility treatments and through my pregnancy. I was given a very generous severance package that will continue to pay me and allow us to have benefits through most of next year which means me and the babies are taken care of through the rest of the pregnancy.
Now, for the best part....I will now be able to start my second career as a stay at home Mom!! I can not think of anything better than the title of "Wife and Mother". I will not have to leave my babies to go to meetings or training (which gives me anxiety just thinking about it). I will not have to figure out childcare for them, and when Greg is home during the week we will be able to hang out with him all day.
I am looking forward to the next part of our journey and Greg is so happy that I will now be staying home with his "little ones"

It is true that when one door is closed another one will open. It just sometimes takes us a while to realize that what is on the other side of the door is better than we could have ever imagined.

Please continue to pray for us. We are getting closer and closer to reaching all of our goals.