This weekend was far from a relaxing weekend. Let me go back to Wednesday first. We found out that evening that our formula had been recalled. For those of you who follow the blog you may remember that before we found this formula we were pretty sure that “Chucky” not Connor had been sent home from the hospital with us. Both boys are lactose intolerant so when we tried this formula it was truly amazing how different they were on it. Only the powder was recalled so the liquid is still good. I had 2 bottles of the liquid so I started using it but that was only enough for a day and a half so Friday we had to try a new formula. I did some research and decided on Enfamil ProSobee. It has not been good. After 24 hours of using it I was on the hunt for the liquid form that we used. I have not been able to find any in stock yet so I have ordered 120 bottle on line that will arrive Wednesday. I did some major number crunching to figure out how many ounces we were going to need until the boys are done with formula. In the mean time I was able to find 3 cans of the powder that was not recalled. So crazy that only certain cans were recalled. Only 2 and a half more months of formula, Thanks goodness. Thursday Connor started coming down with a cold. You could just look at him and tell he didn’t feel good. His eyes were watering, he was sneezing and his nose was so stuffy. I started C-Phen that evening and luckily was able to get it under control before he got really bad. I had to get up a few times with him throughout the night and suction his nose so that he could breathe. Poor baby he sounded miserable. Friday evening Greg got home from Artesia. We didn’t have a lot planned for the weekend especially since we had one sick one and we knew that it would only be a matter of time before the other one caught it. Saturday morning we all loaded up in the car, the boys and me still in our jammies, and we took a ride out to the land. I always look forward to those drives and a good cup of coffee. The boys are happy and it gives Greg and me a chance to catch up from the week without any distractions. A perfect start to the day. When we got home we fed the boys and put them down for their afternoon nap. I was very excited to be getting my hair done at 1:00 so I left in order to get there on time. Unfortunately, the boys decided that they didn’t want to sleep for Daddy. In Greg’s words he said “I think they opened their eyes and knew that Mommy was gone and said wooohoooo we can get up only Daddy is here” He said “I think they think I am a sucker…” They normally nap 2 and a half to 3 hours and they slept maybe 5 minutes. Not good especially since our evening plans was to go to a football game. We fed the boys when I got home and loaded them up for the game. We decided to just play it by ear. By the time we got to Bushland Connor was asleep. We got the boys unloaded and put in the stroller and rolled into the game. Lesa came down from the stands and we each carried one up to sit down while Greg and Bart stood on the sidelines. They did good for awhile but them Connor got fussy. Greg came and got him and took him down on the field and Kyler continued to put on a show for the stands. He is such a flirt! We stayed until half time and then it was time to head home so that we could get them changed and fed and put to bed. Both of them fell asleep right away but Kyler woke up about an hour later. Here lately that is not unusual we can rock him for about 5 minutes and put him back to bed and he is down for the night. He went right back to sleep but around 12:30 he decided to wake up for the night. I figured that he had caught the cold but after being up with him for awhile I could tell that his tummy hurt. We were up and down all night until 5:30…….I was so sleepy. The boys woke up a little early that morning of course since we were exhausted. Greg went in to get them, he likes to be the one to do that when he is home since I get to do it everyday during the week. I have never stayed in bed while Greg got up but I laid there for a minute telling myself I needed to get up and the next thing I knew an hour had past. When I got up the boys were playing in the living room and they had already gone for a walk. I told Greg Thank you so much for letting me sleep. After I fixed my morning coffee we decided to take a drive. I had seen a house for sale and wanted to see what it looked like so we went to find it. I am constantly gathering ideas for when we build. By the time we found it and drove around that neighborhood for awhile it was time to head back and get the boys ready for lunch. They ate good and went right down for a nap. Greg and I settled into the living room to watch the Cowboys game and after that was over we went outside to get some stuff done. Greg mowed the backyard and I cleaned the garage again……..After the boys got up we fed them and got them ready to go outside and play. We are just loving the weather right now. We decided to play in the back yard so we laid the blanket out and put the play pen gate up so that the puppies couldn’t lick them to death. I told Greg we better watch Otis because he will mark that fence when we are not looking. We came in to get the boys and sure enough when I went back outside he had peed on the gate. I immediately came in and told Greg we had 2 problems 1) Otis peed on the gate and their blanket 2) He is peeing blood. It worried us so bad. If he had not done that I don’t know how long he would have gone before we noticed that.
Greg and I were exhausted that night so we decided that as soon as we got them put to bed that we would start getting ready to head that way ourselves. We were in bed by 10. Thank goodness because at 2:30 Kyler was up for the night again. We got up and rocked him and then put him back to bed and he slept for maybe an hour and then he was up again. Over and over we did that all night. Around 4 Greg and I were both wide awake. He said do you want to get up and drink coffee and I said if we do we will regret it later so we laid there and tried to go back asleep. It wasn’t long and Kyler was up again. At this point Connor had slept thru everything but it was 5:30 so he woke up and we fed them. They both went right back to sleep but an hour later Kyler was up again. I was so sleepy by that point. Greg went in to get him and take him to rock him. At that point he was not feeling good at all. When Greg is home he likes to be the one to get up with them and rock them and I go in there and sit on the couch but I had stayed in the bed. Kyler just kept crying and crying so I got up and went in there. I don’t want Greg to feel like I am trying to take over but I couldn’t stand to listen to him cry. When I came around the corner Greg was ready to pass him off. I started bouncing and swaying with him and he immediately stopped. You could just tell he was miserable. I sat down in the chair with him and we rocked and rocked and rocked, he was starting to nod off so I got up and put him in his crib. He slept til 9:15!!! I was so happy I had gotten some rest. When I called Greg to let him know we were up he told me I was a really good Mommy. He said it is true what they say, when they don’t feel good they want their Mommy. Yesterday was an okay day. Kyler was still not feeling the best and was a little whiny which is very unusual for him. I missed all of his laughs and smiles. They took a good afternoon nap and when they got up I fed them and then Greg got home so we went outside to play. By dinner time Kyler was not happy at all. He cried off and on the whole time I was feeding them and then when we put him down to bed he was screaming at the top of his lungs. I think we finally got him to sleep around 9:30. I thought it is going to be another one of those nights but he slept til 5:30. I got up twice because he was kind of whining but he was still asleep, I just gave him his paci and blankee and he was out. We switched back to our regular formula Sunday morning so he should have the old completely out of his system now. He has a runny nose like Connor did so I started him on the C-Phen and it is starting to dry up. His top tooth is still trying to come in so I am sure that hasn’t helped the way he feels. Hopefully we are on the road to recovery. I feel better since I got to sleep last night but am hoping that today I can get some more rest while they are napping!! I am beginning to realize how fortunate we are that the boys are good and sleep really good. I think in the beginning when we were having to get up every 3 hours that our bodies were just on auto pilot and it didn’t bother me but now that I am use to sleeping through the night I am exhausted when it doesn’t happen.
Back to Otis. I called the vet 1st thing yesterday morning and they worked us in. Greg took him and the vet said he has a bad bladder infection and while he was there we had them look at his skin. He has hives. So he is on antibiotics, Benadryl and steroids until he heals up. He was down to 104 lbs. He does not look good at all.
Well nap time is over. I better get the boys up and ready for lunch. I have been making food all morning. Our plans today is to just relax and hopefully get back on track. We are not going to get out at all. I know that with shots coming tomorrow we are going to be in for a couple more fussy days.
We have the boys 9 months checkup tomorrow. I will post 9 month pics and their growth updates then.