Thursday, July 8, 2010

Being a Mom is easy.......


Let me first start this post by saying that I am very fortunate that Greg helps as much as he does but I have to tell these 2 stories. They are too funny not to share and I know that many Moms can relate. (and too, Greg proofread and agreed that this was Okay to post but he assured me that nobody else would find it funny.......)

A couple of weeks ago Greg came home from work and he asked the normal every night question. “What’s for dinner?” This was during the week of Connor cutting two teeth so I had not had much time to even think about it because he had been so needy. It was just about time to feed the boys so I said “How about Taco Tuesday?” Normally Greg would be the one to run and grab it but I said if you want to feed the boys then I will go get the food. He said Okay. I was gone probably 15 minutes and when I returned this is what was waiting for me at home.

Holy moly! It looked like a bomb exploded oatmeal everywhere. Greg said that Kyler wouldn’t eat and he had pooped so he thought he would change his diaper and see if that helped. So he left teething Connor with oatmeal all over his face sitting there. Guess what teething babies do? They put their hands in their mouths and then touch everything around them. All I could do was laugh. Greg didn’t even realize that it was on top of Connor’s head too. Of course Mommy grabbed the camera. I had to capture that moment.

Look at Connor he has that look of “Help me Mommy!”

I swear we have over 30 bibs. I guess they were all dirty????? Or maybe Daddy didn’t think they were necessary……..

This just happened this past Friday. Greg was off Friday-Monday so I took full advantage Friday to do something for myself. After I fed the boys lunch, changed diapers and put them down for a nap my sister and I went to have a pedicure and do a little shopping!! The boys nap for 3 hours so piece of cake for Greg right?? It had not been more than 10 minutes since I left the house and Greg called. He said “both boys were sleeping and that being a Mom was EASY”…………

After our pedicure I called Greg to make sure everything was still Okay. They were both still sleeping so I told him I was going to go look for the boys some new pajamas. Tara and I went to Kohl’s first. We found some great deals and got the boys 5 each. Next I wanted to go to Ross and just look. Sometimes you can find some really good bargains in there. We were not there 5 minutes and my phone rang. I said “hello, are you still Okay” he said “no” as both boys were screaming in the background. I said “I guess they are both awake” he said “yes” I said “did you put them in their swings?” (that is the easiest thing to do when they wake, I know not the best thing to do but to make it easy on Greg I say go for the easiest) he said “no” I said “put them in their swings turn out the lights, give them their blankee and pacis and they will go back to sleep.” I said “let me check out and I will come home”, he said “Okay” By the time I checked out and was walking to the car he called and said “never mind he had it taken care of”. I said “Okay, I will go pick up the dry cleaning and get us something to drink and I will be home”. My sister was driving so when we got home we pulled up to the front of the house. Guess who was standing in the front kitchen window looking for us to get there?? He came right out to the car and said you better get in there. When I opened the door again, Holy Moly!! I wasn’t aware that a tornado had hit Amarillo, TX while I was gone and more specifically had hit our living room. The vacuum cleaner was out and running (long story about the vacuum but the short story is it works to calm the boys, I know crazy but if it works it works!!) Both boys were in their swings AWAKE and Jeff the giraffe had come to visit from their room.

So much for the 3 hour nap………..

Now, it is not unusual for the boys to stir a little during their nap or decide to be fussy or anything like that but the comment of “being a Mom is easy” earlier is what made me laugh.

A few things to notice about these pictures.

1. The obvious, both boys are wide awake during nap time

2. Jeff the giraffe is wearing a visor and bib??? (He said it kept their attention more……)

3. The chairs, bibs, wipees, bottles, cereal bowl and clothes are still in the middle of the floor from the 1:00 feeding

The picture I didn’t take was of the kitchen where Chick-File was still all over too.

Greg tells me all of the time to take a nap when the boys nap. I always say Babe I don’t have time. Here is the difference why. The boys slept an hour and 45 minutes before the tornado hit so what did Greg do? He took a nap! Not complaining he deserved it, he worked a lot that week but when he made the comment that “being a Mom was easy” he obviously overlooked the part of being a Mom means once you put the boys down for a nap you get to pick everything up from the living room, wash all of the bottles and bowls, do a load of laundry (never enough bibs) clean up the kitchen from the Chick-File mess, start thinking about “what’s for dinner?” and start getting that ready to cook, vacuum the house so that when the boys get up and you put them on the floor you know that there is nothing they could put in their mouth, dust, mop the floor while there is no one to walk on it, pay bills, water the flowers, blog but lately even that I haven’t found a lot of time for, get the next bottles ready and cereal made for when the boys wake up and maybe breathe…….but that’s just to name a few…….

I just laugh because again, I am just thankful that Greg is fine with me taking some time for myself sometimes and helping. I think Greg summed it up best. As I assessed all that had happened while I was gone he said “I think God makes Moms completely different from Dads” Amen to that one.

I think it is safe to say that now he realizes that “being a mom is FAR from easy”…………………