Friday, May 21, 2010

1st Taste of Green Beans


Monday the boys turned 5 months so we got to start feeding them vegetables. The Dr. said to start with green vegetables because the yellow and orange ones are sweeter so they might not like the green ones after they got a taste of the sweeter ones. We had two choices, green beans or peas so we chose green beans. I couldn’t wait to see how they were going to react to the taste. Greg was working that day so I waited until the 4:00 and 8:00 feeding so that Greg could be there. Now they are eating their veggies at 12 and 4. It is soooooo messy so after the 4:00 feeding I am bathing them and then the 8:00 feeding they just have cereal and a bottle.

Here are the boys tasting their 1st bites of green beans. Daddy is feeding and I am snapping pictures and videoing.

Needless to say Connor was NOT a big fan of green beans that day. Now, he loves them but at first, not so much!

Here is Mommy feeding them. At this point they were done but I had to have a video with me feeding them too. Kyler says NO MORE MOM!!! (Notice too how messy they are by this point)

Here are the boys CLEAN and about to eat...

This has to be the messiest thing EVER. By the time you get cereal, a bottle and green beans in them they are an absolute mess. Connor is a great eater. He opens his mouth wide for a bite but Kyler would rather suck the food off of the spoon. I keep telling him if he would just open his mouth that eating would be so much easier for him. I would do all of the work for him. The boys are easily distracted these days too. The less distractions the better. When Greg and I are both here they are more interested in what the person not feeding them is doing. You spend most of the time saying "look at me". And Ohhhhh the hands. They can't keep their hands out of their mouths, especially when there is food in there. When feeding two babies it is hard to keep them out of their mouth. The second you go to give a bite to one the other one shoves their entire fist in their mouth. If the hands go in the mouth then that means you get to clean food out of their hair, off of their legs, chest, face, belly button.......I have even found it in their ears. I strip them down to their diaper before they eat and then when they are done I wipe them completely down and change diapers. Feeding time takes forever...... They both love grabbing the spoon now too so it is a constant game of tug of war. They now have their own spoon to hold on to which helps with the hands in the mouth too. The other new thing that they are doing which is too cute is making "motor boat" sounds.Too cute if……their mouth is not full of cereal, green beans and milk. Needless to say the food is flying around in this house. They are not the only messy ones by the end of it all I am always wearing their food too!


I have decided to make the boys baby food. I asked Greg what he thought and his only worry was getting it smooth enough so last night I cooked green beans and put them in the blender on liquify and it worked great. It is as smooth as the jars of food and tastes a 100 times better. Today the boys had fresh green beans and they LOVED it! They couldn’t get enough. Since Kyler takes so long to take a bite Connor was getting antsy for his next bite. I couldn’t shovel it in fast enough. Looks like we will be making a trip to Sam's for frozen veggies. My plan is to take an afternoon when the boys take their 3 hour nap and make enough food for the month.

The Dr. wanted us to give them the same veggie for 3-4 days to make sure they were not allergic so today we will try peas. When the boys take their morning nap I will make enough peas for the next 4 days. I can’t wait to see their reaction……