Thursday, June 24, 2010

Under the weather at the Jackson House


First let me say I started this post yesterday and am just now getting around to finishing it…….

I have been M.I.A lately. I have been trying to catch up on a few blogs but I have not had a lot of free time lately. We managed to make it 6 months without being sick but last Tuesday Connor woke up with a horrible croupy cough. He had had a stuffy nose for a few days but he was still working on that second tooth so we just thought it was that because he had a stuffy nose with the first one. I had been putting saline drops in his nose and suctioning it and I had two humidifiers going in the house. When the cough started I called the Dr. immediately. They were able to get both boys in that afternoon. In the mean time Kyler started getting fussy and when I picked him up he was burning up. He was running 101.7. I knew it would only be a matter of time before the other one got it so that is why I had made an appointment for both of them. Thank goodness. What I didn’t count on was that the whole house getting it. Connor’s throat was red but ears were clear. She said it was a viral infection and gave us a prescription for C-Phen. She said it would help relieve the cold symptoms, watery eyes and sneezing. Poor babies. By the next morning both boys had a bad, bad cold. Both were coughing and sneezing non-stop. They sounded horrible. So sad, after every cough they would sigh. I had two very needy little boys. I rocked and cuddled and rotated between the two of them. (That was the only “fun” part, they were very cuddly) When Greg was home he would take the calm one and I would settle the fussy one. The cold has lingered around here for over a week now. I got a sore throat and stuffy nose but felt fine but Greg got the full cold. When Greg gives in and takes medicine you know he has to be sick....

So in the past two weeks we have had teeth cutting, illness and then yesterday 6 month shots. Needless to say I have had some fussy, crabby, whiney little boys.

The worse part of all of it is the lack of sleep. Being sick has completely whacked the boys night time sleep. We were putting them to bed by 9 and they would usually wake around 3:30. I would go in give them their paci and then they would sleep til 6. At 6 I would feed them and then they were back to sleep til 9!!! O life was good then………Now they are going to bed around 8:30 and by 1 they are starting to stir. The bad part is it is not at the same time. One is up throwing a fit and by the time we get that one settled and back in bed we close our eyes and the other one starts………Last night it started at 1 and I finally crawled back in bed at 5:30. At one point I was so tired of going back and forth I just grabbed a blanket and laid in the chair in their room. It is even harder right now since Greg is home. He is having to leave by 5:15 so you can only imagine how tired he is. Even though I try to be the one to be up with them it is hard to sleep thru two screaming boys across the hall. Since it was raining and thundering last night we had the dogs up and down all night too. As I was going to bed this morning Greg was leaving……..I am sure hoping this phase changes fast.

Greg called this morning to see how we were. He thanked me for letting him sleep. That was sweet. The hardest thing for me to do is sleep during the day. Once I am up, I am up. Just like now, the boys are napping and I am writing. I didn’t even have coffee this morning hoping that when they went down for a nap I could crawl back in bed myself but I am awake. Maybe this afternoon but I doubt it.

The “fun” of twins has begun. After we put the boys to bed every night Greg and I go sit on the patio and just relax before getting ready for bed. I asked Greg the other night if he thought anybody really realized what having two babies was really like. He said unless they have twins they haven’t got a clue. That is so true…..

Well the good thing is today is a new day. The boys are napping so that is good. We are going to stay right here for a few days and see if we can get them completely better and rested and hopefully the good nighttime sleep will return. I will keep you posted.

Day 2 of post

This is where I stopped yesterday. We had another sleepless night last night. The only difference was it started around 11:30 and instead of throwing full on fits they were just whiney and restless. Today I am changing their schedule up a little bit. They took a short nap this morning and then we went on a walk and played in the front yard til lunch. They were very happy this morning. I can tell they are feeling better. I just fed them, changed them and now they are asleep. They actually went down pretty easy. They have to be exhausted. When they wake up this afternoon we will feed them and then we are keeping them up til bedtime. No power nap this evening. I can already tell you it is going to be torture but we have to try something different. As Greg said this morning we cannot keep doing this.

Greg and I are looking forward to the weekend. I know Greg is looking forward to not having to get up at 5:00. Hopefully it is a relaxing one. Who knows maybe we will even be able to sleep in a little. It is hard to rise and “shine” when you haven’t had any sleep….

Hopefully Monday we will be rested and I will be back to blogging more frequent.

Happy weekend everybody!

Me and Kyler cuddling on the sofa


(Me and Kyler rocking, you can tell who was the neediest, poor baby)


those faces makes me so sad, you can tell they didn't feel good


poor Connor had a rash all over his chin from all of the drool