Tuesday, December 8, 2009

36 weeks/ Dr. Appointment & Sono

Here is what the babies are doing this week

Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement.At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.) Most likely she's in a head-down position. But if she isn't, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an "external cephalic version," which is a fancy way of saying she'll try to coax your baby into a head-down position by manipulating her from the outside of your belly.

We made it!!!! 36 weeks!! It seems just like yesterday we were getting our first sono at 6 weeks and finding out we were having twins.......and now, we are anticipating their arrival.

Greg had to go back to Brownfield for the week. The snow and ice last week slowed everything down. They should be done this Friday. He told me to hold on one more week..... we are about to run out of weeks though so hopefully they finish up.

Yesterday I had a Dr. appointment and sono. My appointment was quick. They weighed me and I had lost a pound. (Total 37 lbs) They measured me and then he checked my cervix. It is still closed!! I have had a lot of pressure so I was surprised. He said Baby A's head is right there. I asked him what we do now, "Just wait?" he said "Yes, that if at 38 weeks nothing has happened then we will make a plan at that point." He also wanted to see the size of the babies so that is why I had a sono right after. I am so excited to have reached this point. I can handle another 2 weeks. That would make us having babies the week of Christmas. (My Dr. is on call so I am happy about that) What a great Christmas present, I couldn't ask for anything better.

Now for the sono. My sister got off work early so I invited her to come along to the sonogram. I wish that she could have been at an earlier one because at this point it is really hard to know exactly what you are looking at. The babies are so tightly packed in there so rather than seeing the entire baby and all of its movements like we did in the beginning you only see certain parts now. To her a head looked like a belly and a belly looked like a head. I have had so many sonos now that I just know what they are looking at and measuring. First they measure the head and then the belly and then the femur. We had to make sure that when it was time to measure the femur that Tara knew to turn her head so she wouldn't see what they are. We have made it this far without anybody seeing so we certainly didn't want anyone to see now. I am pretty sure that will be my last sono.

The purpose of this sono was to measure the babies and make sure that they are growing properly. Both heads are still down and they are ready.

You will never believe how BIG they are!!!!

Baby A weighs 5 lbs 7 oz. and Baby B weighs 6 lbs. 10 oz!!!! Can you believe that? She measured them three times just to make sure. I am carrying 12.1 lbs of babies. Holy moly, I guess we know how to grow 'em. I called Greg and said "guess how much your football players weigh." Of course he said He did it! I said "yes babe, it is all because of you" he! he!

Yesterday was my birthday. I had said all along that I did not want to have the babies on my birthday, I wanted them to have their own special day so we made it. It is crazy how the older you get that birthdays just seem like another day. I guess too that right now I have so much more to look forward to and be excited about. I am now the Big 34! I still can't believe that either, where does all the time go? Mom, Dad & Tara came over for dinner. Tara grabbed On The Border and brought it here. I had been up long enough and didn't feel like going anywhere else and it was sooooo cold. We had a good time!!

Today I am taking it easy. I guess I got a stomach bug or something. I was so sick to my stomach all night. I finally dozed off for a couple of hours this morning. I called the Dr. and Tammy told me to have clear liquids today and to pay close attention to the babies movements. She said if they slowed down to call and let her know or if I continued to not be able to keep anything down they could give me phenergan for that. I have not gotten sick since 9 this morning and the babies have not slowed down a bit, in fact, they are very active today so I guess it was just a bug or something I ate.

I had plans with Jamie and Lesa to have my Birthday lunch today but I had to cancel. We will have to do it another day. It is so windy and yucky out anyways so it is nice to just stay in.

I go back to the Dr. next Monday.
I will keep you posted if anything changes before then.