It has been almost a month since I last posted and so much has been going on. I have a million pictures from the boys birthday party and Christmas to post but I have not been able to get on my sisters wireless internet. All of my pictures are on my computer so I am hoping that now that things have settled a little bit we can figure out her password and get my computer working. As soon as I am able to I will post all of those on the correct dates so you will have to check back later and see if they are on there.
Let's go back 3 weeks ago. Christmas night we put the boys to bed and Greg and I started packing up all of the Christmas decorations and getting ready for the movers the next day. The movers came at 2 that Sunday to load up all of our furniture and move it to storage. It took them about 3 hours and our house was empty......almost. I have decided that the worst part about moving is the closets. It is crazy how much stuff you can store in there. Greg put hanging bars in our enclosed trailer so we were able to take our clothes straight out and hang them but of course we ran out of room so some are laying in the back as well. My weakness for coats seemed more rediculous with every trip it took to carry them all out. Shoes and shoes and more shoes we finally had the closets cleaned out. I still had some clothes in the boys closet hanging that didn't fit them anymore so rather than just move them and clean them out later I went ahead and sorted those and packed them away. My goal was to move with only what we use. Monday night the lady that bought our house came over to let her daughter know where to tell the movers to put everything. She was as overwhelmed as we were with all of the last bit of stuff. We had not scheduled for our contractors to start until the following Monday so we told her if she needed some more time then that was fine but we would need until noon the next day. She agreed so that relieved us a little bit. The next morning Greg took a load of our garage stuff over to the house so that we had more room in the Uhaul. He came back and we went to the bank to close. We came back and continued to load everything up. I thought it would never end. We finally just reached the point where we carried everything to the front yard, I organized it and we loaded it from there. We looked like we were having a giant junk sale. I HATE moving! It was at this point that Greg said we would never be building a new house and have to move again..... We did not finish until around 5 that evening and Greg had to return the truck and head straight out of town to work for a few days.
We were exhausted.
That 1st week was spent mostly trying to settle in and getting the house ready for the contractors. On Thursday the previous owner was completely out so we started tearing everything out of the house. It was so much work. Paneling had to come down, walls knocked out, counters and appliances torn out, light fixtures taken down, showers and tubs torn out and the tile jackhammered up. It took us days. The drywall and texture guys did not come until Wednesday and by Friday they were packed up and gone. On Saturday our painter and stainer came and it will take him 4-5 weeks to stain every piece of wood and paint the inside and outside so this is the longest part of the process. Last Thursday the window people came and installed the new windows. They look great! I can finally see outside now! When our base board guy is there cutting and installing those he will cut the wood piece that goes around the edges for the windows as well. The week our painter is outside the granite people will install granite and the flooring guy will come in and lay the hardwoods and tile and tile the showers, tubs and backsplash. All we will have left is lighting and appliances and we can move in. I can see the light!!
After weeks and weeks of research and pictures and emails back and forth I finally decided on the granite colors and they had them shipped in from Dallas. They are beautiful. I am so pleased! I have picked out tile and backsplash for the kitchen and am down to the bathroom tile for the floors and showers. I have started buying light fixtures and still have a million more to buy (there are lights everyhwere). I still need to pick out sinks, bathtubs, hardware, faucets and paint colors. So much to do!!
Saturday Greg and I took advantage of a beautiful day and went over and organized the garage. We put all of the attic stuff in the attic and was able to move everything else over so I can get my car in the garage. Yesterday our storage shed was delivered and it looks like a small house. Our contractor took the measurements and made it to fit that spot exactly. It is huge which I am excited about because that means less stuff in the garage. He is now going to build our dogs a house that is insulated and has a heating lamp that we can plug in when it is cold. Their world has been turned upside down too. They are having to sleep outside and it has been so cold. I know they are ready for us to get moved in as well.
The first week was a little rough with the boys. It was an adjustment for them to be in a new place. We were on the go constantly which didn't help anything. We did not tear anything out of the den that week until the last day so that the boys had a playroom while we were working and Greg had a place to sleep. The boys and I went back and forth to Aunt Tara's throughout the day . I would feed them over at the house but when it was nap time we would come back so that they could sleep in their own bed. We did that for 4 days......They did not sleep well and I was up every couple of hours during the night. It was like I had newborns again. I heard more whining in that one week than I think I had heard all year. (Poor Aunt Tara, her quiet little house was turned into a whine zone and she was probably wondering what she had got herself into.....) By that following Monday I was done with shuffling them back and forth. They were tired, I was tired so we stayed home that morning and started to get back on our schedule. We spent the day realxing and playing and even went for a walk that evening. By Tuesday they were back to being our happy little boys and even started sleeping throughout the night again. Thank goodness. I was beginning to question what we had done.......
Greg stayed over at the house with the pups until the contractors started and then he left to work out of town for a couple of days. He is now staying here with all of us when he is home. By last weekend I felt like things were starting to feel back to normal and then.....we caught the bug...........