Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bath time!!


Ever since the boys were born I have bathed them in the kitchen sink either just directly in the sink or in their tummy tub. I used the baby bathtub a couple of times but honestly it was just easier on my knees and my back to use the sink. Now that the boys are getting bigger and now that I can’t just lay one in the living room with a toy to entertain them and return to them in the same spot while I am bathing the other one I figured it was time to try the bathtub. I had gotten these really cool bath seats back before the boys were even born that were recommended by my friend Jamie. Last weekend when we cleaned the garage I got them down from the storage shelf and took them to the boys bathroom. Thursday morning I decided to give them a try. I attached them to the tub and finally figured out how to adjust the one so that I could turn it around to face the other one. I knew the boys would enjoy looking and playing with each other rather than staring at the wall or the back of the other ones head.

While the boys were napping I got the bathroom organized and ready. If there is one thing you have to be with twins it is organized especially, when you are by yourself. There are so many things that I would never have to think about if I only had one little one. I had to have a plan on what to do with one while I was putting the other one in the tub and then I had to have everything right there for when I got one of them out of the tub. Can’t very well leave the room while one is still in the tub to get a diaper, clothes, lotion etc. Since both boys are all over the place I had to figure out how to contain them while I was taking care of the other one. By the time the boys got up I was ready to bathe them.

Here is Kyler waiting in the Bumbo while I got Connor undressed and put in the tub.

Here they are “playing”’ in the water. It took them a little bit to warm up to being in there.




Everything was going great until I bathed Connor. He started crying and was really upset. By that point Kyler was kicking him and splashing water everywhere so I figured that was what was wrong. I was thinking next time I am going to have to scoot their seats further apart so that Kyler can’t touch him.

Of course I had to take a picture of Connor upset with his first “Big tub” bath.

Now, before you think I am a horrible mother let me say this. When Connor gets hot, cries or I rub his skin he turns red so I didn’t think anything about his skin here……… He continued to cry so I got him out.

I laid him in the floor and dried him off and put lotion on him and he continued to cry the whole time. That was unusual because neither one of the boys cry for that long, they are pretty easy to settle down but he didn’t stop and then I realized that his skin was turning red and blotchy all over.

The boys had run out of the soap I normally use so I just grabbed another one out of the cabinet. From all of our gifts we received at our showers I have a cabinet full of lotions and bath soaps and shampoos. I have used two different ones on the boys so far and I never would have dreamed that this one would be any different.

As you can tell Connor had an allergic reaction to something in this one. Kyler had no problems whatsoever but it looks like Connor inherited his Mommy’s sensitive skin. I have been know to have an allergic reaction to certain soaps too and when I rub or scratch my skin it turns red and whelps up…….

Poor baby. I felt so bad. I rinsed him off and that seemed to help. He never broke out in hives so that was good. By the time I got Kyler out of the tub and dressed I could tell that he was already looking better.

It took about an hour for the blotches to completely go away.

Needless to say, I threw that soap in the garbage. I am not going to take a chance of him getting that one on his skin again.

Here is a fun picture of Kyler. We played so long in the tub before the soap episode that their skin was all wrinkled. Look at his toes.....


Minus the soap I think both boys enjoyed taking a bath in their "Big boy" tub!!