Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sleeping in their OWN room!

A couple of weeks ago I talked about it being time to move the boys to their own room. The boys were sleeping for extended periods of time so we were not looking forward to potentially no sleep for a couple of nights. Greg was getting ready to leave for 2 weeks so we moved them 3 nights before he left because I did not want to do it by myself. The boys did great! The transition was really easy thanks to the Baby Einstein Baby Soother. We had gotten it about a month prior and the boys really love watching the fish before they fall asleep. (They both talk to and smile at the fish. Too cute!) We swaddled the boys up and put them in their bed, turned on the soother and they were fine. The first couple of nights we slept with the Video monitor turned up even though they were just across the hall. It didn't take long for me to figure out that we would get better sleep if we just turned the volume off. We can definitely hear them crying without the monitor volume up and now we don't jump at every single little sound we hear. I was OK with moving the boys while Greg was home but the first night I was by myself it was a lot harder. I had gotten use to having their company in there with me when Greg was gone. I missed being able to lay in the bed and just look at them. The other big change was the last time I had been in our room by myself with Greg gone I had 2 big puppies in the bed with me. Since we had broke that habit I didn't need to start it again. So me, PJ & Otis for the 1st time in 3 and a half years were in our own beds and our little ones are now in their own bed too.

The boys go to bed at 8:30 now and are sleeping until anywhere from 3 to 5:45!! Last weekend when Greg was home was the 1st time they slept til 5:45. We were thrilled! Greg said either they were really good babies or we were so tired we slept right through them crying. For those of you that have heard Kyler CRY (scream is more like it), you know that that is impossible.........Whenever they wake up we feed them and then they sleep until 8. At this age they consider sleeping through the night being sleeping for a period of 6 hours straight so they are definitely doing that. My goal when Greg is gone is to have everything done (bottle washed for the next day, house completely picked up, bottles and formula ready for the night and MOST importantly the Coffee pot programmed for the next morning) before I put the boys to bed. That way I can get the pups in, give them their medicine, wash my face, brush my teeth and then crawl into the bed. Needless to say by 9:00 I am ready to hit the pillow. I am not completely ready to sleep but I love being able to lay there and watch TV and just relax before I fall asleep.

Our next goal is doing away with the swaddle. For anyone who swaddled your kids, most of you know what I mean. The boys LOVE it and when we try to just put them in their crib without swaddling them they want nothing to do with it. We are starting with naps and hopefully soon we will advance to night time. As soon as we can break that habit or maybe before if it doesn't happen soon we have got to put them in their own cribs. They are both getting so long (Connor especially) and they are about to outgrow laying side by side in one crib. I am going to order another camera and then I guess that it is time. Where does all of the time go? I feel like yesterday we were bringing them home from the hospital and now they weigh 2 and a half times more and are almost 4 months old.........




Swaddled up sleeping like a baby........


Unswaddled and not sleeping (Don't let Kyler fool you, he closed his eyes for 2 seconds)