Monday Greg and I took the boys for their 2 month checkup. We were so anxious to see how much the boys weighed, how long they were and how Dr. Medford thought they were doing. Can I just brag on our little ones a second? Our boys are doing so good. I guess I didn't realize how good until we talked to the Dr. She said she doesn't have too many parents of twins that come in smiling at this point. The boys are on the same schedule and they said that that is rare. Most parents come in saying that their babies are on completely different schedules and they are past the point of exhaustion. Now we can't take full credit for this. I am so thankful for everyone that referred the book Baby Wise to me. I realize now what a lifesaver it has been and I was lucky enough to have some friends that are Moms of twins that gave me some great words of advice. So far, so good....I think we still have our sanity?????
The boys have grown so much! Connor now weighs 9 lbs 4 oz and is 23 inches long. At his 2 week appointment he weighed 5 lbs 13 oz and was 19 inches long. Kyler weighs 8 lbs 6 oz and is 21 inches long. At his 2 week appointment he was 4 lbs 8 oz and 17 3/4 inches long. Oh my goodness!! Can you believe that? Dr. Medford could not believe how much Kyler had grown. She said she has never had a baby who has grown that much so quick. She was very impressed. She thinks they are both going to be big, tall boys and built just like their Daddy.
Of course we had questions for her. Since the boys are starting to hold their heads up more I have really noticed lately that Connor holds his head to one side more than the other. I work with him everyday during Tummy time to get him to turn it the other way to strengthen the other neck muscles but he hates it. I wanted to know if there was something else that we could do. She explained that yes, he favors the one side because those muscles are probably stronger due to the way he laid inside me. Because there were 2 babies they didn't have room to stretch and move around so he was probably laying with his neck that way in me. Doesn't that make so much sense? I never thought about them building muscle strength like that before they were born and how it would effect them now. She just said to continue the tummy time and really work to get him to turn to the other side. I can do that! We also had questions about how long they should sleep in our room and when they will start sleeping through the night. She said because Kyler was so small and is continuing to catch up that he will be the one to base everything on (it is crazy to think that the boys are just now to the size that a lot of babies are born at). He will be the one who wants to eat more because his little body is needing it. She said it would probably be easier on us right now if we will keep them in our room since they will still be needing to eat throughout the night. She said by 3 to 4 months they could move to their own room, if not sooner, it all depends on them. She said eventually they will get to where they sooth themselves back to sleep when they wake in the night. We told her that they already sooth themselves to sleep when they go to bed because we put them in their crib awake every time. She was shocked. She said they both go to sleep on their own? We said "yes". (Thank you Baby Wise) She told the boys that their Mommy and Daddy was so smart. That made us feel really good. Greg and I hope that we are doing the right thing everyday so to have some reassurance from the Dr. was comforting. One of the other things we were concerned about was Kyler's head. He sleeps on a certain spot of the back left side of his head. That spot is flat and makes his head look egg shaped. We have tried turning his head when we put him to bed but next thing we knew he would be laying on that exact same spot. She gave us some tips to keep him off of it. She told us to get a tube sock and fill it with beans or rice and prop the left side of his body up underneath his left shoulder that way there is no pressure to that spot. The other thing she said is when we are holding him to make sure we are not holding him on our arm in that spot. She wants him on his tummy 3 to 4 times a day while he is awake. She said if we didn't get him off of it his left ear and eye would push forward and stick out. We don't want that! We put the boys down for a nap when we got home and since we hadn't been to to the store yet to get the sock and beans we rolled a blanket and put it under him and it worked. Hopefully it won't take long for his head to start reshaping.
Dr. Medford looked the boys over and listened to their hearts. Both boys have a whooshing sound that she wants to get a second opinion on. Connors is worse than Kylers but she referred us on to a cardiologist to get it listened to. She said they may have a murmur. She said that it is probably fine but she likes to get a specialists opinion. She did not want us to worry (not easy to do) Instead of sending us right over to the hospital she is scheduling us an appointment with the Dr. She did not want the boys exposed to anything in the hospital. Dr. Medford could not stress enough to us when the boys were born that they did not need to be out in public or have lots of visitors. She said that this is the worse time of year for getting sick. What is a runny nose to adults can mean hospitalization to them. We definitely did not want that. We told her that the boys had not been out at all. She was very pleased. She said right now that the stomach bug, strep throat and RSV are going around, we were being smart to keep them in. We will continue to keep them in until she says it is OK. Thank goodness for me it has been cold and yucky outside. I have had no desire to get out much. By the time it warms up the boys will be able to get out. I can't wait to put them in the stroller and start walking the neighborhood. I think the boys will love it!
The boys were a little fussy since their shots but not too bad. It didn't seem like they felt bad it just seemed like their little legs were sore. They would only fuss when their legs were moved or bumped. (Made diaper changes no fun at all) After the boys got up from their nap after the Dr. appointment I fed them. Kyler was screaming his little head off. Never have they screamed when there is a bottle in their mouth.... What usually takes me 25 minutes to feed the both of them and change diapers took me 1 hour 15 minutes. I had to hold Kyler and just feed him and then feed Connor after Kyler settled down. Kyler did not even want to eat, that is unusual, he is our little Porky Pig. He just screamed. I called Greg to stop and get some Tylenol on his way home. I was beginning to think that it was going to be a long night but once we gave them some Tylenol they were fine. The boys slept 4 1/2 hours before they woke up that night. We fed them and then they slept 3 1/2 hours so they did great! They have done great since. Thank goodness. The only thing I notice since is a little bit of decrease in appetite.
We won't go back to the Dr. Medford until April 19th for their 4 month checkup. We will go to the pediatric cardiologist as soon as they can get us in. We are just waiting for the call. Pray for our little boys that their hearts are good. I will keep y'all posted.