Tuesday, August 18, 2009

20 weeks

OK I never got back to writing more last week so, here is the 19 week update on the babies.

Your baby's sensory development is exploding! Her brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. Her arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of her body now. Her kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on her scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on her skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.

Greg has been gone for 2 weeks now. This is the longest we have ever spent apart from each other. I am sooooooo ready for him to be home! We have nothing planned for the weekend, Greg just wants to hang out and maybe go to the pool. I am going to cook all weekend, after almost 3 weeks of eating out Greg is ready for home cooked meals. Next Wednesday is our 3rd anniversary so we will celebrate that this weekend since Greg will have to go back to Wyoming on Monday. Greg is going to be so surprised when he sees me. I have grown so much since he left. I can't wait! The babies are active and moving all around. I can't wait for him to feel them!

Greg and I decided on the baby furniture a couple of weeks ago. We saw it at Kids Space and we both agreed that was what we wanted. You know me, I searched all over for a better deal. I found a place in Oklahoma City that gave us a much better deal than Kids Space. Not only were they significantly less expensive, they gave us a Twin discount. I ordered the furniture over the phone and when it comes in we will go to OKC to pick it up. We got two cribs and the combo dresser with mirror. The dresser is also the changing table. I think I have it all planned out how to place it in the room. Each baby will have their own side of the room. Of course, in the beginning they will be in the room with us and then when they move to their room they will be in the same bed for awhile but, when they are ready they will each have their own crib. Here is a picture of the furniture. (click on the picture if you want to see it bigger)
















I got the babies room completely cleaned out this past weekend. All I need to do is fill all of the nail holes and the room is ready to paint. I can't wait to look in that room and see the babies furniture all set up. It is starting to become reality more and more everyday. It won't be long before they are here.

When Greg and I looked at furniture we also looked at car seats and strollers. After lots of research we decided that the Peg Perego line was our favorite. The car seats snap in to the base to make the stroller and when they outgrow the car seats we will buy the seats that snap in to the same base. The great thing about this stroller is the babies can face each other which allows both of the seats to lay down if it is nap time. You can also put them one behind the other. Again I did some searching and found them on sale at Babies R Us a couple of weeks ago. Mom and Dad gave us a Visa Check Card so that we could purchase whatever we wanted so we decided to go ahead and get the car seats with that. THANKS Grammy and Pops! The car seats came in last week and I love them!! I ordered them in black so that they can be for a boy or girl. I had them sitting in the dining room all last week. Every time I walked in there I just smiled. This is the first baby things we have gotten. They are going to be so cute in them!!


I have definitely continued to nest. I am down to 1 closet and my jewelry to organize. I love having all of this energy right now. I have felt WONDERFUL! Last weekend I was down in my back for two days so I took it easy and just rested and within a few days it was better. As crazy as it sounds, my back feels so much better during the week when I am wearing my heels to work. On the weekends I just throw on my flip flops and by the end of the weekend my back aches. I guess I am just so use to wearing heels, I think that my posture is a lot better in them too which helps. In my flip flops I have the tendency to slouch.

Greg has been busy shopping too. He called the other night to let me know he bought the outfits the babies are going to come home from the hospital in. He bought camo shirts, camo bottoms, camo bibs and camo boots. He is a little worried that they may be too big but we will make it work. Too cute, I can't wait to see them. I guess if we have a little girl or 2 we will be putting a pink bow in their hair! Greg bought a few other things when he was in Yellowstone last weekend for the babies too. These little ones are going to be so lucky to have Greg as their Daddy. They are in for a fun life!!!

This weekend I figured if Greg was going to buy some things then I would too. I had a coupon for JC Penneys that was for spend $10 and get $10 off. They had their Carters sleepers on sale so I went to look. Even though we don't know what we are having I couldn't resist buying these little outfits. I knew that Greg would love them and I figured if we don't have 2 boys then somebody will just get them as a gift. Here they are. I took pictures of them to send to Greg. I had to giggle. As I was taking the pictures I realized that in one of the pictures my belly was in the way. Take a look. The big green thing is my belly!!















Yesterday I had a Dr.'s appointment. Just like the last appointment it was really quick. First they weighed me. I gained 4 lbs in 4 weeks. I was really surprised. My belly has grown so much over the past couple of weeks that I was sure that I had gained more. They asked me a few questions, measured my belly and then we listened to the hearts beat. They gave me certain things to be looking for and if I notice any of these changes to call them. I can not believe that we are already 20 weeks along. Our goal is 36 weeks so, we only have at least 16 more to go. I am hoping to go as long as possible. I do not have another appointment for 4 weeks. At that time they will schedule a sonogram. I can't wait to see them again. They are getting so big. I feel them all of the time now. They are very active. It is the best feeling!!
Here is how they will be growing this week
Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).
I will have my sister over to take 20 week pictures this week. Y'all will be so surprised how much I have grown.
Continue to pray for a LONG, healthy pregnancy